We run what to do if your child ingests hazardous chemicals in the home.
Last year, approximately 1500 youngsters were brought to hospitals after accidentally ingesting liquitabs. Intensive care was required for several of those hospitalised, and reconstructive surgery was required for a handful of them.
These pills appear to be quite enticing to children. Please keep them out of sight and out of reach in a locked closet.
Rinse and Reassure
If you discover a youngster has swallowed a dishwasher tablet or any acidic material, be as calm as possible.
Reassure them, wash away any visible substance from their face or hands, and reassure them. If you suspect they’ve eaten or swallowed something caustic, call 999 immediately.
If a youngster mistook a dishwasher or washing machine capsule or tablet for candy, major harm may result. Cleaning products have high alkaline content and can quickly burn the skin.
Fill a glass halfway with milk or water and swish it around.
If a youngster has swallowed a dishwasher tablet, it is critical to remove it and rinse the product as soon as possible. Protect yourself if you can, but deal with them as soon as possible. Get them to swish milk or water around their mouth if they have ingested some of the substance. Make them spit it out, then offer them small sips of milk or water to help dilute the product.
DO NOT MAKE THEM SICK, since this will cause the corrosive product to resurface, causing them to burn again.
Call an ambulance and continue to give them little sips of milk or water.
Examine the substance’s packaging and read the instructions in case of accidental intake.
Unable to take a breath
When resuscitating someone who is unconscious, keep yourself safe.
It’s likely that if they swallowed part of the substance, it burned both their oesophagus and their airway. This can cause their airway to expand and get clogged, preventing them from breathing. If they become unconscious and stop breathing as a result of this, you must resuscitate them by giving them breaths and chest compressions. When providing the breaths, it is vital to protect yourself – this may be done with a pocket mask or a plastic bag with a hole in it – cover your mouth with the bag and breathe through the hole in the bag into your nose – thereby protecting yourself and ensuring that you are not burned.
Keep the paramedics in the loop.
When the ambulance arrives at the hospital, take the box of tablets as well as any remaining medicines they may have ingested, as this will aid the doctors in providing the best possible treatment.
Poisoning Prevention Tips for Parents
- Some common household chemicals are extremely dangerous to children and can cause various outcomes including seizures, vomiting, blurred vision, acute anaphylaxis, and even death.
- All potentially toxic substances should be kept out of reach of little children, preferably in a closed closet. Dishwasher tablets, pharmaceuticals, alcohol, cosmetics, DIY supplies, cleaning and gardening items, and potentially dangerous plants all fall into this category.
- Never transfer medication or other items between containers. Always use the original containers, which should be clearly labelled and have childproof lids.
- Batteries should be kept out of reach of little children, and batteries in toys and gadgets should be securely fastened. Batteries can cause irreversible damage to a child’s gut.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors and get your appliances and alarms tested on a regular basis.
- Clean up immediately after a party because small children are likely to be the first ones up and might quickly consume the last of the drinks and help themselves to anything else before you’re awake.
- Keep an eye out for other people’s purses that have been left accessible to youngsters, as they may contain a variety of potentially dangerous threats.
- To prevent children from drinking the toxins, choose cleaning products that contain Bitrex, a bitter ingredient.
- A dishwasher or washing machine capsule/tablet might easily be mistaken for a treat by children. Keep them hidden and don’t be tempted to leave them in the machine’s entrance. Cleaning products have high alkalinity and can cause burns.
- Allow no plants in the house, garden, or countryside to be eaten by children.
- Carefully store medications, especially birth control pills and analgesics, which are frequently kept on the bedside cabinet.
Our first aid training NI wide is a great way to know how to react if something does happen in your home. You could do everything right and just have one unfortunate mistake, so it is best to prepare for the what if’s in life. If you would like more information, please get in touch.